Monday, June 30, 2008

It's Not Just Knitting Anymore!

That's right bitches. As of last Thursday, I am officially a crocheter. I took a class at Eleganza Yarns, where I made this sad little coaster:


Which really isn't all that bad for a first attempt, but perfectionist that I am (hahahahahaha!), I went straight home and tried it again. My second attempt went way better- it actually looks like it's supposed to!


Then I went balls out and tried an Amigurumi elephant:



Just look at that little fucker! He's awesome! My next project is going to be a dishrag, so I can see if crocheting really is faster than knitting. If it is, I could see never knitting another scarf for as long as I live, but knitting still has a lot of advantages. The crocheted fabric is thick and more holey- I don't see using it for sweaters. It seems like they'd make me feel fat and drafty. I think crochet is better suited to blankets, wraps, scarves, and anything else that doesn't necessarily need to have awesome drape or the ability to cover a bra (see prime example here). I would like to try crocheting a shrug, though. I got some cheap yarn to try it out; I need something for walking the dog at night, when it gets a smidge chilly:



Speaking of knitting... I have been churning out a few dishrags. Guess what everybody's getting for Christmas this year?


And I ordered some sock yarn from Lion Brand, because I'm really curious to see what's it's like. If I ever knit socks again, I'll find out!



The colors don't suck, and it feels soft. My biggest concern is that it will pool funny. Maybe I'll use it for the Knitting Olympics! I've tentatively decided on making socks. Possibly the Pomatomus socks from Knitty. It's still sort of up in the air.

No comments: