Monday, December 31, 2007

Flipped Cars and Yarn

Eleganza Yarns has an annual "step-down sale" on New Year's Eve, where if you arrive between 6 and 7 a.m. you receive 40% off; between 7 and 8 a.m., 30% off; and so on. I woke my ass up at 5 in the morning, and got in the car by 5:30. There was a bit of patchy fog, and the wet pavement and low temps told me to be cautious on bridges. Basically, "just don't drive like an asshole and you'll be fine" sort of conditions. But apparently everyone here drives like an asshole, as was evidenced by the insane amount of accidents. I must have passed 4 or 5- and we're not talking fender-benders. Cars smashed to bits, flipped upside down... it was crazy. About a mile from my exit, there was a three car accident that blocked traffic for miles. I sat for 45 minutes at a dead stop. As I sat in my car, watching the minutes tick by, I grew more and more frustrated. I was going to miss my 40% window because some douchebag can't figure out that wet roads + below freezing = icy roads. Gaaaahhh!

Once the traffic started moving, I got to Eleganza in just 10 minutes. Hooray for green lights. Miraculously, I managed to arrive before 7! Yay! And here's what I got:

Tofutsies! Because who doesn't need more sock yarn?



And more sock yarn...

Then I got enough Jo Sharp Silk Road for a sweater

Can't forget the Manos del Uruguay

And as I was waiting in line, I spied some Skacel Laceweight Merino

It's navy (not black) and one day I will tackle one of those awesome super-challenging shawls. One day...

And lastly, I have a finished object! I made a pair of Knucks for a friend, and they were handed over this weekend. They turned out well, but I can't embroider so they lack the awesome lettering. Plus I'm lazy.

I'm halfway through the first sock of a pair that I owe my step-mother-in-law, then I have another pair for my brother lined up. After that I plan on knitting something for myself!

No comments: