Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Resolutions. Maybe.

The socks were finished before the end of the year, as was Scott's hat:



They look good and fit, and Scott likes them. Win! Scott's scarf has been started, and is now about two feet long. Here is a picture of my Robosapien helping out about 18 inches ago:


I wish I could teach him to knit, that would rock.

The scarf has been put aside for a few days (until I forget how sucky it can be to knit six feet of the same. thing. over. and. over.) and right now I'm working on a pair of socks with Shalimar Zoe. They're just plain vanilla socks for myself. Pictures coming later, when they look more like socks.


I've been thinking a lot about making some sort of knitting resolution. My calculations tell me I have over 18 miles of yarn, not including yarn for projects already cast on. That's a lot of yarn. Especially considering I just got rid of a garbage bag full of extra/leftover skeins, remnants, and acrylic I probably wouldn't have used. It's possible that perhaps I should use some of it. Also, perhaps I should also finish some of the unfinished projects I have laying around.

So here's my plan: I am going to buy yarn for one more project (two friends are having kids, I only have yarn for one baby project). After that, no more yarn until I work through 5 miles of yarn. That's 8800 yards, and like I said- it doesn't include WIPs. Which brings me to the second part of my resolution...

I am going to finish the following WIPs this year: the baby sweater missing one sleeve, Cass's top, Scott's scarf, the Shalimar Zoe socks, the Clapotis, and my Boyfriend Sweater. I think that's reasonable, and will make a lot of room in my yarn cabinet.


The only part the sucks is that if I don't polish off five miles by May, I don't get to go to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. For now, I'm considering that to be a motivator, and maybe if I work through at least half, I'll let myself go and get just a small amount (but way less than the 4400 yards I have to get through).

I'm off to get started- and I won't hold it against you if you fell off your chair laughing at the idea of me not buying yarn for at least 5 months.

No comments: