Saturday, April 11, 2009

Hey! I Did It!

I sewed! I'm a sewer! Wait, that's not right...

But there it is. I made a knitting bag. It even has pockets on the inside- one specifically for a phone, and one for my notions tin (by the way, thanks goes to the ladies at knit night- mainly Sandy- for pointing out the awesomeness of gift card tins for this purpose)...

And on the other side are two larger pockets for whatever, they are large enough to hold an 8x10" piece of paper folded in half...

It's big enough to hold a sweater-sized project, I think. Below, it's holding my crocheted blanket and the socks (from the last post) and it's only about halfway full. We'll see.

And it has just one strap the way I like (if there are two, one always seems to slip off my shoulder).

The biggest problem I encountered was that my buttonhole wasn't big enough for my button. It was the first button hole I ever made on a sewing machine, and didn't know how big it should be in comparison to the button. I tried to make it the same size, but it didn't quite work out. Luckily, I had one that was a perfect fit, so it all worked out. I still have some concerns about the strength of my seams, but in the worst case I'll just have to make some repairs.

I'm actually quite proud of my little bag, as I haven't sewn anything more challenging than a hem since Home-Ec in junior high school. And I'm excited about not having to dig around in the bottom of my bag for my phone at the next knitting meet-up. It is a little bland though... perhaps I can find a way to dress it up at a later date. And I know, the term is seamstress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive! I really like this. You could probably take orders and sell them to the group!

Amanda said...

Thanks Kym!