Monday, November 12, 2007

Hats (I Finally Finished Something!)

I finally finished the hat for Scott! Finishing it gave me a much needed boost in confidence, but it was a close call. I had tried to knit it big enough to felt- about 30% bigger. I crocheted the green trim, and threw it in the washer. But when it came out it had barely shrunk. Crap. I nearly gave up at that point, but Scott suggested putting it in the dryer to see if that would shrink it more. So we tossed it in, and when he pulled it out it was perfect. The knitting gods had smiled upon us.

And I don't think I ever posted a picture of the finished hat for my father-in-law for Christmas.


It looks better on a head than in the picture. The scarf is still coming along, slowly. I don't know what I was thinking with a garter stitch scarf (could anything take longer?) but I feel like I'm too far into it to rip it and start over. Oh well.

The body of the brother-in-law sweater is nearly done, I'm about an inch from starting the ribbing at the hem. So far, so good... I just hope it will fit! I'm trying to dig my heels in and get going with all this Christmas knitting. I hate how time goes so fast this time of year.

I had a crazy-awesome dreamy moment last weekend, as the husband and I were driving around West Virginia looking at cheap real estate. Scott mentioned a house he saw for sale in Sharpsburg MD (near Antietam- very old, very far, very red). He said part of the house was separate, and had been used as a business. He said something about how it would make a good knitting studio, and maybe one day a yarn shop... how awesome would that be? I could sit and knit all the time, and be surrounded by yarn. Mmmm. Maybe one day.

No comments: