Thursday, June 25, 2009

Can't Believe I Forgot This

One thing I forgot to mention in the last post... it starts with a goofy story.

At the last knit night, a Borders employee, Shawn, asked the group to knit him a scarf for his semester abroad- in Paris. Instantly, a fire sparked right under my ass. I took French my freshman year of high school, and again for a semester in college. I love the language, and have always wanted to go to France, blah blah blah. Anywho, every now and then I freak the shit out and listen to the French (technically Quebecois) channels on Sirius, and listen to French podcasts, and rent French films, and just generally obsess for a week or so until something else distracts me. But anytime I hear someone speak French, or just mention something about France, the interest is renewed.

Now go back a little further, to a few weeks ago. I was on Ravelry, and browsing through the new patterns. I saw a pattern, clicked, and instantly became dismayed. The pattern was from a Phildar pattern collection. Meaning it was in French, and likely not available in the states at all.

Back to present day: I've got all these Francophone thoughts bumping around in my head, and a lot of free time on my hands. So one day at work, I look up French knitting websites, and stumble upon Phildar's website. Long story short, it turns out I have retained just enough French to navigate a website and drop 20 Euros on patterns. I'm so excited I could pee a little.

And yes, I realize I'll have to translate the patterns. But even English patterns look like a new language when you first learn to knit, and I got through that okay. I looked at a couple free French patterns, and I think I can figure it out.

Also, yes Phildar has an English version of their site. But the English site will only let you purchase English patterns (of which there are 9 pattern books), whereas on the French site, there are 58 (!) pattern books to choose from.

My biggest problem now is that I'm dying to know what their yarn is like. I bet it's awesome. I also bet it won't be too long before I decide to find out.

No comments: