Tuesday, July 10, 2007

An Introduction of Sorts

It all started 7 years ago, in my Aunt Evelyn's kitchen. It was early fall, and I was already thinking Christmas-y thoughts. I was in the midst of my first longer-than-two-weeks-relationship, and I had big plans: I wanted to knit my boyfriend something spectacular.

My sister had suggested asking my aunt, so there I was. Aunt Ev was more of a crocheter, but was willing to help me out. She handed me a pair of ancient purple aluminum size ten needles- the tips were silver from wear, and they were a bit crooked. We sat in her kitchen for a mere hour or so, as she showed me how to cast on, knit and purl. I picked it up quickly, and churned out a couple of inches before she sent me on my way. Only that was using a skein of plain, beige, worsted yarn.

The yarn I bought was multicolor (but mostly black) bouclé. Not easy stuff for a newbie. The scarf I knit up over the next couple months resembled some sort of yarn abortion. It was too short, and the width varied as I accidentally increased and decreased randomly as I went. And in accordance with The Curse, my wonderful boyfriend later dumped me two days before my birthday. Nice.

I didn't think about knitting again until the following summer, when my sister got pregnant. I decided to try again, but I had only learned half a lesson from my scarf abomination. Once more I chose a foofy bouclé, but at least this time I had the sense to count my stitches. The blanket I made was better, but the cast off edge was so tight it more of a trapezoid than a rectangle.

Over the next couple years, I'd knit here and there. I made a handful of dishrags, a couple more scarves, and started an afghan (which I later gave up on and ripped out). I never made any attempt at getting better, or learning new things. Shaping seemed scary, and my locale (IL) was devoid of decent knitting resources. Then, two years ago, I found myself in Maryland. Being so far from home, and not being the social type, I found myself with a lot of spare time. I remembered knitting... ah, yes. Knitting. I made a scarf. Then another. I made a hat to go with the scarf (knit flat and seamed up). I started to broaden my horizons. I learned to knit in the round, then I learned about felting. Suddenly this whole knitting thing didn't seem so tough. I found a plethora of resources online, and a couple knitting shops nearby.

Now I'm up to sweater level. I still haven't conquered my fear of intarsia, and I'd rather eat poo than seam up a sweater (I knit them in the round). I've become mildly obsessed with knitting (especially yarn), and think about it all day at work. I'd like nothing more than to quit my job and knit all day, but I need the money for the yarn. A girl can always dream, though...

My aunt has since passed away, but I still have those old purple needles. I use them from time to time, even though I have since developed a love of bamboo. Aluminum feels so cold and hard in my hands, and I just don't like it at all. But somehow my aunt's needles always manage to feel warm and soft.

No comments: