Saturday, September 22, 2007

I Heart Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Last Thursday I had the pleasure of going to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's appearance in Virginia- and it was amazing. Just amazing. I had left work early, and made it on the road by 4:30. She was scheduled to start at 7:30, but I wanted to be sure I had enough time to get through rush hour traffic and still get there early so I could get a seat. Incredibly, I made the trip from Germantown to Bailey's Crossing in just an hour (if you're familiar with DC area traffic, you'll understand what a feat this is).

Upon arrival, I was happy to see that this particular Borders had a sizable area set up for the event, right in the cafe area. With two hours to go, there was a decent amount of knitters with coffees and knitting in hand. I worked on a sock, and chatted a little with the two women next to me, Jen and Becca. They were really interesting, and I was glad for their conversation during the long wait.

Before I knew it, people were bustling with anticipation... it was time. First a nice man (I think his name was Daniel?) came out.



He told a funny story about a hand-knit hat he once received. Then he introduced Stephanie, and we all went nutty.



Some brief shenanigans ensued as they adjusted the microphone, and she began. We all listened intently as she warned us about C.H.O.K.E. (Cultural Humiliation Of Knitters Everywhere), and how banks have thwarted knitters. Much of her talk focused on the misconception of who knitters are, and the ignorance of non-knitters. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. My only regret is that I didn't bring a tape recorder, so that I could relive it over and over.


I had to get up for work the next day, so I didn't stick around to get my book signed (plus I'm just not into autographs). But it was still well worth the trip! I'm left wondering how much longer until her next book comes out... maybe next year? 2009? I just can't get enough of this woman. Really.

No comments: